+91 - 11 - 26122053
ADVANTAGES OF SOFTGELATIN CAPSULES
Soft gelatin capsules or also known as soft gels are becoming a popular dosage form for the administration of liquids, suspensions, pastes, and dry powders in the dietary supplement industry. Softgels can be an effective delivery system for oral drugs, especially poorly soluble drugs. This is because the fill can contain liquid ingredients that help increase solubility or permeability of the drug across the membranes in the body. Liquid ingredients are difficult to include in any other solid dosage form such as a tablet.
The smooth surface and texture of soft-gelatin capsules protects from light for photosensitive formulation and make them easier to swallow .Also, the unpleasant taste and odour inherent in many ingredients (e.g. Fish oil) can be effectively masked using a variety of flavoring agents. Also, the gelatin shell, which encapsulates the active ingredients, is a protein that is easily digested by enzymes in the stomach. hence, the physical breakdown of softgels in the body is guaranteed.
Soft-gels are the only existing form of encapsulation that is hermetically sealed. This characteristic offers a variety of benefits. First, the ingredients sealed within the softgels are protected from oxygen. This is particularly important for substances such as fish oil and flax seed oil, which have a tendency of becoming rancid.
The advantages of soft gelatin capsule:
- Soft gels are easy to swallow, once swallowed, release their contents very quickly.
- Have the ability to mask odors and unpleasant tastes
- Have an elegant appearance
- Readily dissolve in the gastric juices of the digestive tract
- They may enhance the bioavailability of the active ingredient
- In specialized dosage form, soft gel can be made into chewable, extended release, cap tabs, etc.
- It can also be used for ophthalmic preparations, e.g. alpacas, vaginal/rectal suppositories.
- Dosage Accuracy. Uniformity and precision dosage.
- Product Security. Dosage and formulation are tamper-resistant (a punctured or tampered softgels will leak or become discolored). Protection against counterfeit
- Product Stability. Sealed container, Protection from light for photosensitive formulations, Protects drug from oxidation and degradation